While this blog is not going to be done in episode order, it might be a crime not to start off with the pilot episode. For all of you newcomers out there, it is certainly the best place to start!!! And what veteran GG watcher can’t enjoy making comparisons in how different the pilot is from the rest of the series. While not my absolute favorite, it is definitely up there!
First off, everyone should have known what a great show this going to be from the opening song. I mean, “There She Goes” by The La’s is essentially a classic in my book. I will discuss Gilmore music later (even years later the soundtrack is still one of my favorite CD’s and yes I said CD).
The first scene opens at Luke’s diner with Lorelai classically begging for coffee. Speaking of COFFEE… Coffee is the inner workings of the show, the girls thrive on it. Lorelai will later make jokes about how she should just have an IV started! Insider facts will tell you though that Alexis Bledel, who plays Rory, disliked coffee and would spend the remainder of the series drinking another dark brown substance… soda.
The pilot introduces us to so many things its hard to comment on them all, so I’m just going to make a quick list of points to focus on! Feel free to comment on them yourself!
- How old did the guy at the dinner think Rory was if Lorelai was her mother, WEIRD MUCH?
- Wow, Luke’s dinner is SOOOO different inside and out
- I will always love Michael’s sassiness (aka: puts phone down to check, neglects to check, and responds same way as before)
- Why couldn’t Drella remain on constant on the series?
- RORY AND DEAN’S FIRST LOOK!!! I still say it was love at first sight (swoon).
- NOTE: Lane refers to her parents
- I’m so happy that they did not keep Suki as being so accident prone
- “Rory’s going to Chilton, Rory’s going to Chilton, Rory’s going to Chilton..” It is surprisingly a catchy tune and pops into your mind at the most random times
- TIME WARP: when was the last time Brittany Spear’s made a music video with a plaid shirt.
- Who are these mysteries people Lorelai could possibly be avoiding….
- Emily make’s a comment that the house hasn’t changed much. Give it a few episode and it suddenly looks quite different.
- I had a Korean friend throughout high school very similar to Lane. It drove her nuts when I tried to make comparisons (and was right!) to the point that I did it completely on purpose
- RORY AND DEAN’S FIRST DISSCUSSION!!! OH MY THEY ARE JUST SO PERFECT!!!!
- Rory: “So do you like cake?” Why couldn’t I think of that as my first pick up line?
- Dean watching Rory is the cutest, sweetest thing ever!!!
- Luke: “Red meat can kill you. Enjoy.”
- My mother and I have a fantastic relationship, but I don’t think anyone will ever have the relationship of Lorelai and Rory.
- It amazes me how many of these original scenes remained in the opening sequence throughout the seven seasons of the series (Richard giving Rory the paper is just one of these infamous scenes. Also note: it was always a “special appearance by Edward Herrmann)
- Poor Lorelei 😦 If only she knew what was to come
The first episode comes to a close with the GG’s at Luke’s, just as it should. As excited as I was about Rory and Dean, I can’t get over that Luke and Lorelai look… now that is pure magic. And the first episode ends with yet another iconic scene of the GG’s through Luke’s Window. OH THE EXCITEMENT TO COME!!!!!
For those newbies, I’m giving you a homework assignment: click on the following links and check out some about the show and the shows actresses and actors.
Also, I will be often referencing a book complied by A.S. Berman, an assistant on the show. “The Gilmore Girls Companion” goes through the show episode by episode. It highlights different scenes, gives fun facts, and most importantly explains the many cultural referances that Amy Sherman-Palladino was famous for adding into her work! If you are interested in buying the book it can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/The-Gilmore-Girls-Companion-Berman/dp/1593936168
Another Note: GILMORE GIRLS GOES LIVE ON NETFLIX ON OCTOBER 1st!!! Clear your schedules now!